Seven most fascinating reasons to grow succulent plants
We are all well aware that plants have major benefits when it comes to the environment, but apart from that, plants have immeasurable other benefits. Among so many varieties of plants available, succulent plants have distinct properties, and fleshy or juicy texture in some of the other areas is their characteristic feature. Since succulent plants usually grow in dry regions and hence a part of them is responsible for storing water so that the process of photosynthesis can take place. Either stems or leaves of succulents store water and hence become juicy.
There are plenty of reasons that might push you towards growing more and more succulent plants, but here is a list of the 7 most fascinating reasons to grow succulents.
- Fresh air: Plants are a source of fresh and purified air, and so are succulents. They inhale carbon dioxide from the environment and exhale oxygen, making the air around them pure and fresh. Hence, growing succulents near the places you spend most of the time (like your work table) can have great impacts on your health and hence can lift your mood immediately.
- Adjust according to the surroundings: Despite growing in dry conditions, succulents can easily adjust themselves when brought in damp and moist conditions. Succulents usually grow under conditions with bright and intense sunlight, but if they are kept in places with little or even no sunlight for days, they remain fresh and continue to grow. Thus, they are easy to maintain and hence can be used widely for interior décor.
- Health Benefits: Succulents have proven to be a source for getting rid of many health problems. As mentioned above, they help in lifting the mood, but apart from this, there are various other healing aspects of succulents. For example, just by consuming the leaves of stonecrops (a variety of succulents), one can easily get away with the problem of high blood pressure as it helps in reducing high BP. Apart from helping with high blood pressure, succulents possess other healing properties like helping with a sore throat or preventing dehydrated and scratchy skin.
- Interior decoration: There is a wide variety of succulents available in the market, from different hues to different structures and sizes. There is every type of succulent available. The variety of succulents that come with bright colors tend to enhance the beauty of the room and hence, serve the purpose of giving life to your house. Whether it’s a tea table in your garden or a corner table in your bedroom, succulents can be used at several places around your home to light up your mood.
- Therapeutic properties: There is a wide variety of succulents available that are edible and possess therapeutic properties. To name some, pink dragon fruit would be the one everyone is fond of lately. It is a pulpy white fruit and contains tiny black seeds. The high fiber content and low calories of dragon fruit, along with its delicious taste, is the reason behind its high demand among the population. Moreover, some of the succulents that are not edible still possess medicinal properties, like aloe vera that cannot be eaten but serve to soothe skin problems when applied directly to the skin.
- Easy maintenance: Plants do demand a lot of attention and care, they need to be watered promptly and require adequate sunlight, but fortunately, that’s not the case with succulents. Succulents remain healthy with or without sunlight. They can continue to look beautiful even if you don’t water them for 6-7 days straight. Thus, along with the various benefits of succulents, they are also easy to maintain. This also makes them a great choice to gift succulents to your loved ones.
- Helps in avoiding the risk of cancer: Succulents, cactus to be specific, are rich in antioxidants that help in maintaining the health of cells, thus preventing them from damage. Cactus leaves are found to possess qualities that help in preventing colon, prostate, liver, and even breast cancer.
Hence, succulents are full of benefits, and there are plenty of reasons to grow them. They are rich in vitamins, proteins, calcium, and iron. Also, have many health benefits, as discussed earlier in the article. Furthermore, they can be used as a masterpiece for interior decoration and is also a great option to gift your loved ones.