Death by doctoring - when will the madness stop?
This is not an overdose
The night before Isaac Reis died, the 22-year-old knew something wasn’t right.
Isaac was so concerned about all the prescription medication he was taking, he asked to stay at his parent’s house.
The 22-year-old had recently moved out of home, but he phoned his father Paul Reis late that night asking to be picked up.
“When I picked him up, he was slightly sedated. He’d taken his night-time medication,” Mr Reis told the ABC.
Isaac told his father he wanted to be readmitted to a psychiatric hospital to have all of his medications reviewed.
“He was concerned. And I was concerned at the time too, because the further we got to home he became a lot more sedated.”
When they arrived home, Isaac was groggy and unsteady on his feet. He fell asleep in a chair and Mr Reis helped his son into bed at around midnight.
“I just didn’t know the gravity of the situation and I didn’t know all of these medications that had been prescribed to Isaac.”
Isaac had taken a toxic combination of 10 different drugs, as prescribed by his doctors, and was entering what a forensic physician has described as a “terminal slide”.
The next morning, Mr Reis found his son unconscious. Paramedics worked on Isaac for an hour but could not revive him.